Thursday 2 December 2010

Global Warming

Snow (a.k.a. global warming) seems to have arrived early this year, and since I am marooned at home as a result, like many others, it seemed to merit an entry.

My (personal) view of global warming/climate change, is that the climate has always changed, and our contribution is unlikely to be significant. The difficulty for scientists and university departments investigating this is that continuation of their funding largely depends on the promotion of the  domesday scenario - it would be very difficult for them to find work if they declared that CO2 was pretty harmless and that climate depends on outside influences, such as the sun. CO2 is plant food and essential to life on the planet, even though it constitutes less than 1/2000 of the atmosphere. Indeed, much less, and we wouldn't be here at all, so a bit more is probably not a bad thing.

This doesn't mean that I approve of waste (or all the other messes we make) but, in my view, the weather is something we have no control over. The Met Office have difficulty with this, as they are contributors to the alarmism, and tend to tie themselves in knots when called on to explain it, as nicely illustrated here.

Anyway, the snow is very picturesque, although somehow I doubt that the Tourist Board will be making much use of it. If I recall correctly, the message always used to be that it never snowed on the Isle of Wight, but I guess that will have to be revised, as we already had a large dose in January, which is when I took the photo above. Click on it to enlarge.

More, and more recent, photos here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

JBJ, nice to read your letter in todays CP. Glad to see that you are keeping clear of the venomous blog too.
HW got a good going over at CYH Inquiry!

J Bonington Jagworth said...

Thank you! So much for my disguise.. :-(

Anonymous said...

Staying on the global warming theme, have you noticed that was extensively reported in the Museum of Island History as having occurred several times during the last 10,000,000 years.
So much for the exclusivity for the recent green warblers.
BTW, thanks for your congratulations on getting the ridiculous Cheverton Appeal chucked out. NOT!
Their barrister was on £10K a day (allegedly).
Best of all the Infamous Blog and the CP were so pissed off at the result they hardly mentioned it!
Bring on the Flying Dutchman!
Hope you've cut your car collection down a bit. There are people on minimum wage you know!

J Bonington Jagworth said...

I don't remember saying anything either way about the Cheverton appeal. I admit that I was in favour of windmills at one time, but I was mostly opposed to thWart, whose boss was trying to clear the way to building his wood-fired power station near Cowes.

As for cars, my only personal transport at the moment is a motorbike. My alter ego, JBJ, has a garage-full of course, including the supercharged Boggs Super-Oaf, which runs on 100-octane super premium and distilled fear.

Anonymous said...

"I don't remember saying anything either way about the Cheverton appeal."
No you didn't. That was my pathetic attempt at irony!
You're doing a good job on Tim, but be careful of my favourite adage:
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with superior experience".
BTW, my lawnmower now runs on bio-diesel.
Not only does it do a good job on the grass, but it makes bloody good chips as well!

J Bonington Jagworth said...

You have a diesel lawnmower?! Actually, I do remember a character from my youth who claimed to run his car on petrol and paraffin, mixed 50:50. That was when paraffin was widely used for portable heaters and a lot cheaper than now, but I shudder to think what the cylinder head looked like inside!

WRT the CP, they did mention the appeal. On the front page. In 72 point type - 'Wind turbines refusal upheld'. I still don't mind the look of the things, but I'm less convinced about the economics as I learn more about the backup power required, not to mention the level of subsidy, hence my spat with Tim about solar panels. I note your comment about arguing with idiots - I don't think he's a complete fool, but anyone who thinks it's OK to get their neighbours to pay them to use their own electricity has not really thought it through, IMO.

Anonymous said...

Long time no ??? How the devil are you? Still living by the "Barns"?

J Bonington Jagworth said...

I'm OK, thanks. As to my whereabouts, I couldn't possibly comment - I have enough trouble from GCHQ as it is.